Sunday, September 14, 2008

And he's off!



Tonight the Buys clan met at Sarah's for one last dinner before Joe shoves off for L.A. To gather around the table for us to create some last memories before we're begging security to get backstage and Joe doesn't admit that he knows us. Here's a little note from Joe to the family...



4 My Family…

Well, I’m out – I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off but I’m on my way, and there is no way it could be possible with out the help of all of you. This is beyond crazy for me, rewind even 2 years ago and I never would have imagined even thinking of wanting to do this…but here I am. And you know, it’s not like I’m the only person who’s ventured this route – clearly others from our family and went down a similar path, but in this case for me…it’s definitely different. “Oh so and so is going to…” no big deal, but now I am? It’s every emotion in the world.
It’s not that I feel the need to prove to anybody that I can do this –but that I want to follow a dream in which I believe will make me extremely happy as a career choice. Since I can remember music and more importantly, hip-hop music, has been in my bloodline. I don’t know how I got my mom to purchase unedited west coast “gangsta” rap for me at age 10 – but she did, and aside from my 8th grade stint, it worked out for the best.
There is a love and joy that music brings me – first by listening, but more importantly by recording and especially performing. I love it – and if anybody has told me anything from our family its 1) get your education and 2) follow your dreams – you can be what ever you want. Granted, nobody knows the outcome, but I truly believe if you stick to your vision and just work hard while being good to not only life but people, success will follow (not to be confused with money and fame).
I’m so blessed to have the people close to me that I do – how many families can get irritated because there whole family, not just mom or dad, is so involved. And though it can seem like a bad thing, it rarely is (except of course from Karen’s numerous death threats about relationships – which she’s often right). My head has been spinning the last week because of how many contacts I’ve received and advice I’ve been given, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. Thank you so much.
I guess all I want to make clear in this letter is that, no matter how long I’m away – whether it’s 2 months, a year or 10 years; I know where home is. I know how hard this is on a lot of people (including myself), but I just have this feeling in my heart that I need to do this. It may work exactly the way I envision or it may be a little different, but regardless, due to the way I have been brought up by so many great people – I will be okay. Thank you to everyone who has made this possible, because with out all the things I’ve learned from that fall day in 1984 to this moment – I wouldn’t be able to do half the things I’ve achieved today. So thank you, keep in touch and visit my mom frequently. I love you all.

Joseph ‘JBiZzNys’ Buys

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, my eyes are watering a bit :-) but it's not necessarily sadness at Joe's leaving but joy that he is following his dream. Gupp, you should be proud - he has his priorities straight, he knows where he's been, where he's going, and what/who has gotten him there, and I know he will find personal satisfaction and success regardless of where his music takes (or doesn't take) him. I look forward to hearing about his experiences as he goes forward...I know his journey will be a mixture of "the good, the bad, and the ugly" but the man who emerges will be someone we can be proud of - even more so than we already are! Good luck Joe!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, "the mom" is sad and has been crying a lot the past week. Packing up his car on Sunday and saying goodbye was tough on both of us but I so admire his tenacity and his sense of adventure and spontaneity....something I'm very much lacking in all areas. We have all contributed to his sense of security so he is able to do this. It "takes a village". Thank you for helping me raise such a great kid.