Wednesday, September 3, 2008

And, we're back!

Sorry for the lack of posts (though, sadly, I've not gotten one complaint) but it's been super crazy time around here moving to the new house in Royal Oak, etc.

I will have photos of the new pad soon. Dan's got it in tip top shape.
The other night, we made personal pizzas and decided to take it to our front porch for dinner.

(face paint courtesy of the Detroit Zoo)



I surprised the troops with dessert -- cake and pudding
and fruit and whipped cream and chocolate

Then I taught Claire how to squirt whipped cream right into her mouth.
I told her to close her eyes and open her mouth. Though she later admitted she was
worried I would put a raspberry in her mouth ("yuck!") she did as I instructed. It paid off
handsomely for her. Especially the time I also dripped chocolate in her mouth on
top of the whipped cream
.

The next day, I woke up to find a fully dressed and accessorized Claire watching "The Littles." I made her a waffle and let her eat it in front of the TV, since she was sitting so sweetly on the chair "Kirsten's mom" gave her.



Later in the day, we decided to let her stretch out her legs for a bit at the park, considering it was her last day before starting school!

It turns out a park we often go to is only about 3 blocks away and we hadn't figured that out yet.





Other than that, Claire started Kindergarten yesterday and came home full of first-day-of-school adrenaline and excitement. She has at least one new friend already, went to gym class for the first time and doesn't like her after school room because there are Power Rangers on the walls.

Here are a couple of pics of the proud daddy and his baby heading out the door for the first day of school.





Dan's working hard on various projects, including pitching an original score for a Nike spot today, which is quite impressive. If and when I can, I'll post it here. Also, he's leaving taking off for NYC for 11 days.

His production partner on many of the aforementioned various projects, as well as the Nike ad, is Paul Simon's engineer and is bringing Dan in to work as his assistant on the recording of Simon's wife -- Edie Brickell's new album. So, he'll be gone from Sept. 15 to Sept. 26. I will be lonely. Come visit. :)

Of course, I'll have plenty to do. In addition to my gig at the paper,this week I begin in my new capacity as marketing director for my chiropractor. She's putting me on the payroll and Saturday we will meet to make my plan of attack. I'm not sure where I'll find all the time to do this, but I will and I'll do it well (hopefully). Wish me luck. :)

On top of that a couple of weeks ago I started a volunteer position as newsletter editor for VegMichigan.

AND I just got two custom blanket orders off of my last round of e-mails so I have to get to those, as well as stockpiling scarves and other items for the Detroit Urban Craft Fair (tired of hearing about it yet?) Sounds like "the aunts" are considering a visit during the fair, and I think that sounds great!

On that note, it's my one night with no late meetings, so I'm going to get knitting and try to get to bed early!

Sorry if you're tired of hearing about us. There's a solution to that: send me some stuff!!!!

And please, someone comment so I know you're at least reading this. :)

xo, Kirst

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course you already know that I'm reading the blog! It sounds like you're extremely busy - how do you fit all of it into 24 hours? :-) I'll be sure to send some info and photos from our upcoming trip to California - hopefully the "big one" (earthquake) won't decide to hit while we're there! If it does, I'll be your own "on-the-scene" reporter! Claire looks like she's completely comfortable as a kindergartener!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirsten! I almost complained that there had been no new posts but felt that I have no right to complain and I needed to be patient. I love this whole "blog" idea - thanks! I loved sharing the whole "first day of school" thing. I love you all! Hey - how about that Joe heading out to the big bad west?! Love, Aunt Maggie

Anonymous said...

I love the blog and I kept waiting for more updates. The new house looks great. I'm sure it is great to have more room! Janet took more pictures of the kitchen which is coming along nicely. The appliances come today, the cupboards are in, the tile work starts today and the granite countertops come next week. My house is filthy and since it has been 2 months I'm having severe withdrawal from not cooking so I've been using my neighbors cooking.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say I'm using my neighbors kitchens....can't wait to have one...maybe I should have a kitchen warming party?

Kirsten said...

Yes! We'll have a kitchen warming party at your house and a house warming party at our house...

Updated kitchen photos are set for tomorrow, I believe or Monday. Stand by!

Aunt Sue said...

this is a test. I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I just left a long comment, went to post it; don't have a clue where it went. thought I had to sign up to do that, filled out some questions and now I don't know what the hell I signed up for. THIS is why I don't participate in these things. I'm clueless.

Anonymous said...

You did it! You did it!

Here's what I said I would post from your e-mail anyway...

Good Lord, I've been on this damn computer for 1.5 hours, reading all your stuff. This blog thing is something else; one things leads to another, to another, .... I tried to comment, but couldn't figure it out. I signed up for something, thought it would enable me to leave a comment, but that didn't seem to work. Wonder what I signed up for? Loved all the links. Read about some awesome restaurants you've gone to. Even though I'm not vegetarian, I do love to read what you write. You are such a good writer, and I kept going and going and going. I have to quit now.