Friday, September 5, 2008

Joe's Journey


As a mother I will admit that I don’t like the idea of Joe going to California. No mother would like that idea…at least any mother that is worth her “salt” as a mother. I now have an idea how Mom felt when Maggie left for Hawaii. The fear of the unknown is not a comfortable feeling for a mom. Although we all like to think we raise our kids to be independent, to go after their dreams and to take risks to reach their goals, we really don’t like it when they finally decide to do what we have been preaching about their entire lives.

I know I am prejudiced, but I think JBizznys is quite a unique individual. We butted heads on several occasions in junior high, a few times in high school and a little when he was in college. I’m sure he would be glad to tell you stories of me hanging up on him, not answering the phone or locking myself in my room with the TV up loud so I couldn’t hear him. Through it all he somehow came through the other side and ended up doing (for the most part) the right thing in my eyes and, after all, doing the right thing by a mother’s standard, is very comforting.

Well, here we are at a crossroads in life. It all started at my house on weekends with his friends, doing rap and now several years later he has a CD and additional songs and public appearances in different venues under his belt. One of the highlights for me was watching him perform at the Detroit State Fair in 2007. It was exhilarating for all of us and especially for “the mom.”

The time has come for this ole’ mom to let her baby boy spread his wings and do what he wants to do. I am proud that he graduated from the best school in the country (right, Dan?) and that he has set an example for many young people whose lives he has touched. I’m grateful that he came into my life, even though I was way too old to be pregnant in 1984….God knew what He was doing by sending him. For the most part he has contributed many interesting stories in the Balice history and has provided us with lots of entertainment. I feel blessed that “he’s…a…my boy” and I feel proud of all that he is and all that he will become.

Joe’s departure will be on September 15. Please join us at the best watering hole in town on Tuesday, September 9 at 6:00 (or whenever) to wish him well on his journey. You will probably witness “the mom” crying. Don’t worry about it too much, crying cleanses the soul and it is as much a part of my life on a regular basis as breathing.

SEE YOU AT GREGORY’S


To Joseph Clayton Aka JBizzNys

COCOON

Along a dusty road in India there sat a beggar who sold cocoons. A young boy watched him day after day, and the beggar finally beckoned to him.

"Do you know what beauty lies within this chrysalis? I will give you one so you might see for yourself. But you must be careful not to handle the cocoon until the butterfly comes out."

The boy was enchanted with the gift and hurried home to await the butterfly. He laid the cocoon on the floor and became aware of a curious thing. The butterfly was beating its fragile wings against the hard wall of the chrysalis until it appeared it would surely perish, before it could break the unyielding prison. Wanting only to help, the boy swiftly pried the cocoon open.

Out flopped a wet, brown, ugly thing which quickly died. When the beggar discovered what had happened, he explained to the boy "In order for the butterfly wings to grow strong enough to support him, it is necessary that he beat them against the walls of his cocoon. Only by this struggle can his wings become beautiful and durable. When you denied him that struggle, you took away from him his only chance of survival."

May the walls of your cocoon be just thick enough to allow you to struggle just long enough to emerge the beautiful person I already know you to be. M.D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Guppie: Loved the butterfly story! Good for Joe - following his dream with a college degree in his pocket if/when he needs it! He'll be fine and if it doesn't work out he will always know that at least he gave it a shot - more than many of us can
say!