Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Crumbs from the 4-1-9

By Snickers

· Dinner with grandpa and grandma was usually simple and tasty. There was always just enough food and I do not remember an occasion where grandma packed up left-overs when we were done eating. I remember staring at that last potato and wondering if I should claim it before someone else gets it.

· I liked grandma’s Pb&J sandwiches. When I stayed on a school night, I looked forward to the lunch grandma packed – a good sandwich, chips and a King Don were the staples of a brown bag lunch made by June.

· Grapes. Always plenty available and often resting on a piece of paper towel in that small brown wicker basket. And bananas seemed to always be in stock – the healthy alternative to an Almond Joy for a snack.

· The towel tucked in the neck of grandpa’s shirt. Vivid. Romanticized now maybe, but very him. Etched in my memory forever I hope.

· And who, of all of the grandchildren, doesn’t have a story to tell about the candy drawer? (start spilling your stories . . . ) Sure, I was caught a time or two trying to sneak that door open or worse, swindling a couple extra Butterfingers with my heart pounding in anticipation of grandma’s regular reminder from the den, “only one.” She really did have eyes everywhere in that house?

· And the smell of the pantry where the oyster cracker Tupperware and cereal lived is still with me.

· How about the metal dustpan and old school broom kept in the tiny "garbage closet” in the kitchen?

· Coast soap – every time I see it or smell it, I think of Grandpa. I remember Coast from when I would spend the night.

· And Cosby Show re-runs on TV remind me of Thursdays sitting on the floor of the den watching with our family. I remember going to grandpa and grandmas so much as a child and I cannot imagine my childhood without all of those visits.

· Anyone for some Etch a sketch?

· The endless supply of winter gear in the drawer by the candy. Now, it seemed like I opened that drawer about every third time I was hunting for chocolate. For more than ten years, I tried to find my York Peppermint Patties next to the red and yellow Kent hat. You never know when you will need nine winter hats, six pairs of gloves or seven scarves, right?

That is enough for tonight. More later definitely.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just the other day I heard someone mention Faygo and of course, I had to think of Grandpa's supply on the basement stairs, and his giant bottle of the little metal pieces he broke off the tops, that sat in the closet next to his lazy boy.

And we can't forget the genius that was grandma having a metal candy dish. She could hear that top coming off from a mile away.

I just taught Claire how to tuck a towel into her dress on spaghetti night. The original Tone lives on...

Anonymous said...

I loved all the comments from Nick and Kirst. Isn't it amazing what sounds, smells and pictures that are forever etched in our minds? I miss the kitchen the most, the hub of so much conversation and chaos. I loved hearing mom and friends playing bridge, with periods of silence, then talking and laughter after the hand was done. Sheila yelling at Joyce because she bid wrong, etc. Dad coming out of the den every once and a while to kibbitz. How blessed we were!

karen said...

I never got the original request so am blindly posting. Funniest events?
Mom chasing Nick (I think...couldn've been Ryan) down the street after hearing him mouth off to me in the driveway. She caught him at school with his buddies and made him come back to help me. Dad going out on Christmas Eve with me to get the last tree in the county (not much to look at) because no kid should ever NOT have a Christmas Tree. I think it was the holiday from hell when visions of Gazella Sugar Plums quit dancing in my head (or were they dancing to someone else's tune?) Church experiences were funny too. Dad always went to 7AM Mass so he could sleep in the back pew. Mom was stuck with all of us constantly pinching our arms to get our attention and keep us quiet. Mom always trying to refine us while Dad slowly, almost subconsciously reversed the trend.
They were most fun to be around at holidays, and when we reached the age of appreciation but never ever a dull moment during the holidays.

Snickers said...

KK - It had to be Ryan . . .
Love, the good son